The Department of Physical Planning at the District level shall manage the activities of the Department of Town and Country Planning and the Department of Parks and Gardens.

The Department:

(a) Advise the District Assembly on national policies on physical planning, land use and development;

(b) Co-ordinate activities and projects of departments and other agencies including Non-Governmental Organizations to ensure compliance with planning standards;

(c) Assist in preparation of physical plans as a guide for the formulation of development policies and decisions and to design projects in the district;

(d) Assist to identify problems concerning the development of land and its social, environmental and economic implications;

(e) Advise on setting out approved plans for future development of land at the district level;

(g) Advise on preparation of structures for towns and villages within the District;

(h) Collaborate with the Survey Unit in the performance of its functions;

(i) Facilitate and participate in research into planning in the District;

(j) Assist to offer professional advice to aggrieved persons on appeals and petitions on decisions made on their building;

(k) Facilitate consultation, co-ordination and harmonization of developmental decisions into a physical development plan;

(I) assist to prepare a District Land-Use Plan to guide activities in the district;

(m) Advise on the conditions for the construction of public and private buildings and structures;

(n) Assist to provide the layout for buildings for improved housing layout and settlement;

(0) Ensure the prohibition of the construction of new buildings unless building plans submitted have been approved by the Assembly;

(p) Advise and facilitate the demolition of dilapidated buildings and recovery of expenses incurred in connection with the demolition;

(q) Ensure the prohibition of the use of inflammable materials in the construction or repair of buildings in defined areas;

(r) Advise the Assembly on the siting of bill boards, masts and ensure compliance with the decisions of the Assembly;

(s) Advise on the acquisition of landed property in the public interest; and

(t) Undertake street naming, numbering of house and related Issues.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *