Who can apply?

A man and a woman who has consented to marry.

How to apply?

Ordinance Marriage; Either or both couple to the intended marriage files a notice at the Registry

Customary Marriage; Either or both couple submits a formal application to the Registrar of Marriages for the purpose of registering the marriage.

Process Procedure

Ordinance Marriage

  • Applicants files Notice of Marriage with the Registry (for 21 days) by providing personal data plus photo identity cards
  • Applicants submit a statutory Declaration, verifying fulfillment with specified statutory require3ments in the Marriages Act, 1884-1985 (CAP 127).
  • The Registrar’s Certificate is issued to the applicant after twenty-one (21) days (in the absence of a caveat/objection).
  • Thereafter, the Marriage may be celebrated within 3 months from the date of the Notice of Marriage.

Customary Marriage

  • Apply to the Registrar of Marriages in the District in which the marriage was celebrated.
  • Statutory Declaration by Applicant and parents of the couple.
  • Marriage is duly Registered.
  • Notice of Registration of the Marriage is published on the Notice Board within Twenty-Eight (28) days from the date of registration.

Customary Divorce

  • Apply to the Registrar of Marriages in the District in which the marriage was dissolved.
  • Statutory Declaration by Applicant.
  • Dissolution of Marriage is then duly Registered
  • Licensing of Church Premises for the celebration of Marriages
  • Apply to the Municipal Chief Executive, with a copy to the Registrar of Marriages.
  • Attach copies of Ordination Certificate, Church Registration Certificate, Building Permit.
  • A technical team of officers from the Assembly inspects the Church Premises (with particular reference to sanitary facilities, parking lot, firefighting equipment, etc.).
  • Church Premises is then duly licensed/denied within one month of submission of application.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *